Fish the best custom rod available from Ken Prager 610-999-9897......

Fishing Updates
Our Friends
Fishing Updates
By KenP on 2/25/2009 10:07 AM

The White Clay Creek in PA  was cold, had anchor ice on the banks, floating ice on the stream and a lot of fish!  I was able to actually catch a few too, this morning.  Water temp was 37 degrees and the fish were moving to small pheasant tail flash back bead head nymphs size 16 fished slowly on the bottom.  I was able to take a few other fish using a bead head caddis imitation and yet a few more with a golden retriever streamer.  A number of other fishers were on the stream this morning and they seemed to have tight lines from time to time.  Looks like we are in for a good year.

Ken

By KenP on 2/24/2009 3:25 PM

I fished this morning with my friend Capt. Frank Danner on the Elk Creek in MD.  There was floating ice on the creek and anchor ice on the edges.  My new digital thermometer read the water at 36 degrees and the air temp a balmy 20. ( 7 with the wind chill).  Frank managed to raise a trout or two and lathargic hook setting cost him another fish.  I managed to get and stay cold.  Ice in the guides, leader, and fly line made for a wonderfully rich morning.  Hope to back on the White Clay Creek tomorrow.

By KenP on 2/24/2009 3:22 PM

I just arrived back from the International Rod Building Show in NC.  The creek has "iced" over after the cold few nights we have had.  Here is a report received from this past week end.

Ken

...........Fished today from London Tract to Sharpless with very good results. Small Streamer twitched off or near the bottom.Olive and Red Marabou and Ausable Ugly. Water 34F. Bad news  - saw about a dozen dead trout from the stocking Friday. Maybe the water was too cold? All dead fish were rainbows no browns. Here's a photo for all to enjoy. submitted by Keith H.

... Read More »

By KenP on 2/18/2009 12:05 PM

I had to travel to Lititz to the dr. today so I didn't get a chance to fish.  Dr says I'm all better - actually met him in the elevator going up to his office and he examined my hand and said go home before we reached the second floor.  The power to heal is a great thing!.  See you on the stream tomorrow.

Ken

By KenP on 2/17/2009 11:04 PM

Enough said!

By KenP on 2/16/2009 9:19 PM

I fished the White Clay Creek below London Tract Road this morning with a new fly pattern with an unusual tie.  The caddis has a bead tied on a mono dropper hanging from the bend and the attitude of the fly makes it look like an emerger.  The trout liked it well enough.  Two brown and two rainbows, so I guess you could say the pattern is effective.  The water temp is moderating at 40 degrees and there was no ice in sight.  Openning day is just 47 days away.

Ken

By KenP on 2/14/2009 5:40 PM

Doug took half the store to the Tie Fest Event at Kent Island MD and I manned the store all day.  Our pre-season flies are arriving daily and we have some new patterns that I will begin testing this week on the White Clay and the Elk.  The state's (PA) first stocking is on the horizon and we want to be ready with the flies that work.  Stay tuned.

By KenP on 2/13/2009 5:34 PM

2-13-09 11:00am to 12:00pm - Fished White Clay Creek @ Good Hope DH stretch.
Caught a nice pretty rainbow on golden egg fly drifted behind the sucker school
in front of the big boulder.  I have not been out since the ice melted, so it
was nice to get out on some open water for a change!  Hope your hand heals soon,
Ken.  -JimD
Thanks Jim for your kind words - I fished for 45 minutes at/under the Good Hope bridge at 7:00am
and caught four browns on as many drifts.  Little Black stonefly was the ticket.  Never stepped
in the wate ...

Read More »

By KenP on 2/12/2009 1:51 PM

The White Clay Creek was feeling the effects of the blow we are experiencing.  A lot of new sticks and other "stuff" floating in the water during my morning walk today.  Saw no one fishing.  Even with the breeze blowing the surface of the water I was able to see a few fish up in feeding positions in front of the "big rock" below Good Hope Road.  Let's all pull for better conditions in the next few days.

By KenP on 2/11/2009 11:19 AM

Thanks to all who have sent their best wishes - and yes my hand is healing nicely.  I expect to be able to get it "wet" sometime this weekend.  Until then I am not fishing, so I look forward to your reports.  I stopped to walk the stream this morning, hoping to meet up with my friend Rob who tentatively had planned to meet me to fish for fun.  I saw a number of fishers as I walked the trail, but saw no bent rods.  The reports from this weekend indicated the fish were spooked from all the activity they saw.  I'd offer this advise to those fishing in the next few days:  Stay back out of the water and fish slow and deep unless you see some rise forms.  Hare's ears in size 16 and 18 and baetis patterns in olive and black in size 16/18/20 may be your best bet.  If you see some fish flashing try a yellow bodied streamer size 6/8/10.  Good luck.

&l ... Read More »

By KenP on 2/9/2009 10:13 AM

The White Clay Creek saw quite a few fishers yesterday in both DE & PA based on the cars in the parking lot and the muddy footprints along the stream bed.  I had only one report yesterday -  a couple of nice rainbows over 14 inches caught on a hare's ear nymph in the DH section of PA. I am still not able to fish until I get the bandages off my hand, but I will be glad to report any action if you email the site.

I did have the opportunity to test cast four custom rods built by Rick  B, all one piece fiberglass rods built on spinning rod blanks.  They were very sweet casting and since the rod blanks were very inexpensivce a great way to get into rod building on a budget.  Ask Ken about how these blanks create nice small stream rods.

By KenP on 2/8/2009 4:00 PM

Sat.Feb.7th, 2009 Fished from 10:30-2:00 W.B. Octorara  small stone fly hatch going on.

Ken & Doug Good fishing today.  I first went to Wht.Clay middle branch but too much ice. Then tryed a near by stream in Lancaster county. I fished a small streamer and a stone fly with good success where you could get your fly between the ice. 5  Rainbows and 3 Browns.  The Big rainbow was 24" and what a fight on my 3wt.  Submitted by Keith H

By KenP on 2/7/2009 9:12 AM

I survived hand surgery and plan on making a full recovery in the next few days.  Today is overcast and warming up already so it may just be a perfect day to be on the White Clay Creek. I will post any of your reports as I receive them this weekend.

Ken

By KenP on 2/5/2009 1:49 PM

I walked the White Clay Creek today and observed slushy surface conditions on a lot of the open water.  Let's all look forward to this weekend forecast predictions of 50 degree weather.  Just a note - first it was my feet , now I am having hand surgery tomorrow.  I am supposed to lay off using it for 10 days, but I'll report out on that  score after the operation tomorrow.

Ken

By KenP on 2/2/2009 11:30 AM

I walked and fished a section in the PA delayed harvest (DH) section of the White Clay Creek today.  Some of yesterdays open water re-froze overnight so some of the open sections had some surface slush.  I bottom bounced a size 8 tungsten nymph head caddis through a few of the open section and managed a 16' rainbow and a small brown.  There were also some new footprints in the snow so others had fished here, probably yesterday.  The new vibram soled shoes I have been trying are providing outstanding footing especially since I added the carbide studs.  I can see that these new sticky rubber soled shoes have the potential for replacing felt soled boots in the future.

Find us at: